Sunday, September 15, 2013

Hermitage: The Secret Collection

I was so excited to learn that we would be able to visit the Hermitage because I would be able to see the "Secret Collection".  I often teach my students about the Impressionist movement and I feel honored to actually view some of the work "in person".  The secret collection consists of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings that were originally from German private collections, but were taken to the Soviet Union after WWII.  These paintings were often written about as being lost, however, in 1994 it was revealed that the Hermitage was going to be showing them in an exhibition.  Here is a link to an interesting article in the New York Times:  http://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/04/arts/hermitage-reveals-it-hid-trove-of-impressionist-art.html


Here are some images of the paintings that we were able to see:











No comments:

Post a Comment